Saturday, December 8, 2012

We just finished the Star Bake Sale. Sadly it was a poor turnout. But it was fun meeting our long-term customers, and we gave some food to our shut-in, "L". The security guard got a banana bread, as well. Lots of love and nutrition too.
My Chapter of Order of Eastern Star, Corinthian Fellowship #322 has a bake sale every second Saturday. I made fifteen banana breads, 16 mac and cheese, 5 baked beans, 5 scalloped potatoes and 5 herbal stuffings. This month, one of the ladies made roast chicken, stuffing and a teeny tiny packet of cranberry sauce, One lady made 12 mini meatloaves, someone made single serving chicken parm over ziti. We each try to do something different as well as the staples. Peanut butter cookies, still warm, and brownies. One lady made molasses cookies and her 36 year-old son came to visit and ate all 24. We also had brownies and some sugar cookies, some chicken rice and spirals with mini meat balls.

This is a ministry of presence and visitation. The customers get to see us, talk to a "vendor" and give us their orders for next month, we also patronize their breakfast before we "open shop" and the members of the Chapter get to contribute to the project. The customers get good home style food at a bargain rate, the Chapter gets money to help with the rent and we all have a great time.
I love the work of making the food the night before. My oven gets a workout, my mixer gets used and my home smells of banana bread for a couple of days. The dogs don't like being sequestered, but they enjoy the activity. Best of all, there is one night a month I can't collapse into my easy chair. It's good for me, body mind and soul!

No comments:

Post a Comment