Sunday, April 28, 2013

Condescension

I remember being offended by the thought of missionaries going from my church to the western natives in the Southwest US and to the Pacific islands. I thought it was arrogant and condescending to "take civilization to the heathen." What conceit to believe that one could benefit them merely by talking to them and telling them about how great our culture is. Certainly, these missionaries were carrying the Word of God; the Bible commands us to carry the good news to all the corners. (Mark 16:15)

But as early in my life as 9th grade, I had begun to question that the good news that Jesus was proclaiming was that people didn't have to listen to conceited, condescending missionaries, didn't have to submit to the power of armed gunboats in the lagoon. The good news was that eventually, "powerful" people would not feel the need to use power, that Love would persuade. It was a shock and revelation that there were people who read, "I am the Way and the Light. No one comes to the Father except through me" (John 14:6) and heard "If you are not a Christian you will not go to Heaven."

As I have aged, and as people have hugely misheard me, I can understand that even as he spoke, Jesus' words were being twisted and turned into power messages. Not surprising that the apostles argued amongst themselves within His hearing about who was the first among them. And not so shocking that someone remembers a Kairos weekend more for the community formed among the missionaries than for the meeting of the prisoners.

As we go into the world to minister to the sick, oppressed, imprisoned, hungry and unclothed in the world; as we go into the corridors of prejudice and power imbalances, it is a good idea to be constantly on guard against the very human temptation to feel superior to those to whom we minister.

1 comment: